Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was fine last night and woke up this morning

Customer Question

My dog was fine last night and woke up this morning squinting. Now her left bottom eyelid is very swollen. What could be wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
Any tearing from that eye?
Does the eyeball look normal? No redness or haze?
Is she rubbing the area?
How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is some tearing and there was a tiny bit of goop. I was able to wipe it away. She doesn't seem to be in pain just nervous because it's swollen. The eyeball looks pretty normal, it is a tiny bit red in a small spot. She tried to rub it a few times but in trying to watch her so it doesn't get more irritated. She weighs 4lbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see the attached picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's squinting and trying to keep that eye shut
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now to see one eyelid become suddenly swollen with no history of trauma or eye involvement, we would be very suspicious that this is an allergic reaction to an insect sting or bite. Furthermore, I would suspect that that is what this tiny red spot is. Otherwise, just to note, we can see swellings of this nature if they have had a blunt force trauma to the face or have an abscess (often related to tooth roots) arising at this site).
Therefore, with this in mind, I would suggest starting her on an antihistamine to see if we can reduce that suspect allergic reaction induced swelling for her. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose, 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours (which would be 2-8 mg for her size and easiest to give using the children's liquid version) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Overall, Isis's signs sound most suspicious of an allergic reaction potentially from an insect. So, in this case, we'd want to use the above, prevent rubbing (she may need an ecollar for the short term), and monitor her closely. If the tearing turns snotty at all, you can also flush the eye with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). And if it isn't settling after a few doses, then we may need a wee check with her vet to rule out those other concerns and for injectable anti-inflammatories to settle this for her.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that she scratched her eye or me in my sleep, she sleeps with me. I'm not sure if it could have been an insect, she is an inside dog and never goes outside. Could a mosquito or spider have possibly caused that? Is there any way for me to tell if she has issues with her teeth?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If she had scratched her eye, it would have been quite a severe scratch to cause this much swelling. So, much so, I'd expect you to see a scratch mark on the skin. Furthermore, most scratches to the eye would cause a haze/clouding on the cornea not cause swelling of the tissues around her face. So, if this were related to self- trauma, we'd be more suspicious of her bumping her head.
Otherwise, if she is indoors, then spiders would top the list of possible insects that like to crawl around on tissues and bite. So, they would be my suspect for an overnight swelling (where dogs who get similar signs while outside in daylight tend to be the ones that meet up with bees/wasps).
Finally, in regards ***** ***** abscesses, these are not easy to check for at home since the infection tends to be up at the tooth root. Still it would be suspect if she has a lot of tarter or decay on the upper molars on this side of her face. And if those were present, often antibiotics from her vet will clear these (though having the bad teeth removed are usually indicated to prevent it coming back).
All the best,
Dr. B.