Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I think a giant(7 ") centipede bit mt 20 lb schnauzer. She

Customer Question

I think a giant(7 ") centipede bit mt 20 lb schnauzer. She is listless and won't eat much. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Emma. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Usually with centipede bites, we see swelling and pain at the bite site, and the dog is acting painful and uncomfortable. If she is listless, and not eating, it could be something else. Did you see her get bitten?

There is no antidote for centipede toxin, so the treatment is just rest, pain medication, and fluid therapy if the dog is not eating.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The centipedes in the US can leave a painful sore, but are not poisonous to kill a dog, from the research I am doing.