Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Pommapoo ate a snack size chocolate Hershey bar with the

Customer Question

Pommapoo ate a snack size chocolate Hershey bar with the wrapper on!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I have just a few questions. How much does your little one weigh, how long ago was it ingested, the weight of the snack size bar if available, and whether it was milk or dark chocolate. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If it is a 10.78 ounce bag and there are 6 bars in there that would mean that each bar is about 1.8 ounces per chocolate bar. Does that sound about right?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

I hope this makes sense, I can calculate the level of concern once you are able to give an approximate weight but inducing vomiting will minimize signs of chocolate ingestion but also the wrapper causing any issues with digestion as well. Luckily the wrappers are fairly digestible but with the chocolate we are likely looking at moderate upset stomach (vomiting, diarrhea, hyper excitability, +/- muscle tremors, lethargy, reduced appetite) if we do not induce vomiting so I would advise this if you are able.

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a milk chocolate .45 ounces, he weighs about 7 lbs, one year old.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

OK great thank you. With this small amount of milk chocolate, even with his size I would not expect to see any chocolate toxicity signs. I would monitor for the wrapper out the other end in the next 24-48 hours but I wouldn't expect this to be an issue with such a tiny bar either

So at this point whether to induce vomiting, I would be more inclined to monitor but you can play safe to ensure that wrapper is not going to cause issues for him by using the peroxide at 3/4 teaspoon for his size

Please let me know if this information makes sense or any additional questions I can assist with today

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome :)

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
How did your little one do last night after we spoke? I would love an update when you are able...