Dr. Gene
Dr. Gene, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM degree from Ontario Veterinary College
20949193

My dogs lip is hanging but not in a normal way at all it is

Customer Question

Hi my dogs lip is hanging but not in a normal way at all it is very hard to describe I took a picture but can't send them to you through here
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

Couple of questions for you:

1. Is it the upper lip that is hanging? Only on one side?
2. Is the lower eyelid droopy on that side of the face as well?
3. How long has this been going on?
4. How is she acting and moving around otherwise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I would say it is upper lip but hard to tell when I get close it almost looks like a small tumor. She is an older dog but still has a lot of spunk. I don't see anything else droopy, but she did have a seizure once and was very discombobulated after. Her lip has always been a little messed up, we rescued a year ago, so there is 11 years of unknowns for us! I'm trying to send a picture now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I sent the same one twice
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the pic. That's a tumor of some kind, unfortunately. It's impossible to tell what this is without a biopsy but oral tumors tend to malignant (cancerous), especially in boxers. I wouldn't wait too long and have Rocky looked at and the tumor biopsied (or removed completely) to determine what it is and how to proceed further. The reason biopsy is done first (before complete removal) is to find out what type the tumor is so that we know how much healthy tissue to remove around it to achieve complete cure. Certain malignant tumors require a large margin which may be difficult to achieve in a place like the mouth and benign tumors may need minimal healthy tissue to be removed. It helps to know this before going in surgically so that the procedure can be planned appropriately - that way too much tissue won't be removed without a reason and too little won't be removed either.

Hope this helps!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.
Hi Devin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
Dr. Gene