How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Elaine Your Own Question
Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 1388
Experience:  B.S.; D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Elaine is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate two small fire starter logs and she has now had

Customer Question

My dog ate two small fire starter logs and she has now had two seizures with foaming at the mouth defecating and urinating on herself. I have no idea what the hell to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 1 year ago.
HI there, this is Dr. Elaine
You need to get her to a veterinarian immediately.
Call poison control: http://www.preventivevet.com/pet-poison-control
Some poison control numbers are free, others require a charge. The above link shows numbers for both (the Kansas University line is no charge)
It may be too late to make her vomit, and unsafe if she has been seizuring and has altered mental status.
However, a veterinarian can administer activated charcoal and give cathartic enemas after flushing out the stomach, in order to prevent even further absorption of the toxin(s) in what she consumed.
Regardless of the toxin, the fact that it has made her seizure means this is an emergency. Anti seizure medication may also need to be administered by IV injection. Go now, do not wait any further.
The wax and sawdust in these logs can also cause an obstruction within the digestive tract, and some have heavy metals in them (zinc is one) that can cause seizures--there are antidotes for certain specific heavy metal poisonings.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine

Related Dog Veterinary Questions