petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

I have a 7 year ole Akita that has always been in perfect

Customer Question

I have a 7 year ole Akita that has always been in perfect health, other than he has always had problems with allegeries which would manifest in his ears and feet. Four weeks ago he was diagonosed with an ear infection and two front paws that had become infected. He was put on antibotics and steroids for ten days. He seemed somewhat improved after the round of treatment but less than a week later he began to drag his right front paw and then began walking on the same joint, front right leg. Took him back to the vet and they said it looked like he still had a bit of infection in his paws, so started back on same medicine for ten more days. Bandit began to have problems walking straight, they said it was Wobblers diease and now he can't stand up are walk period. They exrayed his cervical area and everything appered to be just perfect. I did however find a knot in the center back and a huge knot the size of a golfball under his neck where his glands would be. I have since this past Monday, August 3, 2015 started him on Essiac Tea, 1/4 cup of the brewed tea each day with fresh salmon. The knot under his neck and the one on the top of his back has increased dramatically. Is it possible that an infection developed in to his blood stream ? They have said to put him down but I can't believe this could happen over a short period of time. They have ruled out orthopaedic problems from tests and say it sounds like a neurological problem. Bandit is alert, eating, drinking and going to the bathroom every day. Please help me if you have any ideas as to what could have happened are what might be wrong and any treatment options you might have for him, I begging you, I can't lose him, he is my life. Sincerely, ***** *****
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance.

Other than the xrays, have they performed any other testing on Bandit? Has he had the masses aspirated and submitted for cytologic analysis? Has any bloodwork been performed? Did they give you an idea of what they thought the lumps were?

How about skin testing? Any skin cytologies of the feet or ears? Skin scarpings?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OMG, Thank you, ***** ***** give me a minute, I was right in the middle of changing his diapers and getting his food ready. Is that ok ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you are more than welcome to call me at(###) ###-####if you can give me about 15 minutes to get him situated, please.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I have sent an offer for the additional services of a phone call. You have to accept the offer before we can proceed, or we can continue in this format if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear Dr. Z., All that was done for him after he got to where he could not walk was the x-rays, some blood work for just invections I believe, but will confirm everything tomorrow with that respect. I did take him to my chiropractor as he is also licensed for dogs and horses and seemed to help him but have not been able to take him back just yet. My friend's vet looked at Bandit and said they did not know for sure what it could be, but said they thought it could possibly be a tumor on his spine. My vet is the one that took blood samples and took the x-rays. They found NOTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY, but said that they suspected that it was a nuerological problem. Neither one of the vets saw the large knot under Bandit's neck are the smaller one that developed in his center back. Since I have started him on the Essiac Tea, with fresh grilled chicken, are fresh salmon, the knot under his neck is not detectable with I rub his head and face. The other has gotten to be very small. He is very alert, and has started moving his legs, stretching, and will sit up on his own at times. He is extremely bossy too when he wants something, ha...he is using the bathroom and eating every day but one. He will bark and carry on to get my attention but I am rarely away from him in the bedroom for no longer than 30/45 min., at any given time, I try to stay with him for support and comfort plus that's what he wants me to do. He is an extremely intelligent dog trust me. He understands English and Spanish and some German as I am a retired police officer. Please what do you think could have happened to cause this to come on him all of a sudden, I am just devastased and do not want to put him down just cause they don't know what it is, that is killing him to me. Thank you for your time, Sincerley, Cheryl Ann Bahakel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry but can not afford the phone call, I sure wish I could but saving my sources for him...
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure what is going on, from what you describe, but in my mind, any enlarged mass should have a needle aspirate performed to see if we can get to the bottom of what is the cause. The fact that they are already decreasing in size is a good sign as tumors do not usually so that. Neurologic issues can be a challenge to confirm and it is not uncommon for all blood work to be normal. If you are going to spend any additional funds, I would rather you do it consulting with a veterinary neurologist who can review his medical history and help to outline potential causes. Sometimes a spinal tap may reveal a cause, but in some cases, even with more advanced testing like MRI or CT, the cause remains elusive.

I certainly would not give up and put him down if there are signs that he may be improving. If anything, I would be tempted to continue the steroids as even though they have potential adverse side effects, when dealing with neurologic disease, have the best chance of improving his symptoms.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your feed back, it gives me some comfort trust me. I will begin him back on the steroids asap, but would like to know if you are aware of any veterinary neurologist in my area ??? Are do they work at large University's ??? Do you know of any kind of financial programs if any are studies ? And you should check the Issiac Tea for dogs and cats out to see the tremendous things it has done for so many ppl and their pets. I have used this product two times, once for my father and then for my brother, both with inoperable cancer but it destroyed the tumors, my brother Tommy;s on his neck in one week. The only thing else I forgot to mention was that in the past few days if I start to move Bandit are roll him over on his other side, he will start to yelp as if there is something in his upper neck area about 4/6 inches from the back of his head hurting him. When I massage the area, his neck muscles are very tight but after about ten minutes of rubbing they begin to relax and he gives me kisses on my hand. Could a pulled muscle cause something like this ? He did jump off one of the beds that he should not have been on as it is a high bed and he yelped and limped for a few days but then it was about 2 weeks after this incident that all this other started to occur. I am sorry I left this out as it may be key and very important infor to you. Thank you so much for your help, I'm so grateful, you have no idea.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

It definitely sounds like there could be neurologic involvement and that perhaps we are also seeing muscle spasms secondary to the pain. This is not uncommon in disc disease.

Veterinary neurologists are not always located at universities, but most universities have one. Here is a link with a way to search in your area. Just put in the state and the specialty for the choices and leave the rest blank.

I hope that helps.

LINK HERE

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?
Dr Z