Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a strange question that I can't find but maybe you

Customer Question

I have a strange question that I can't find but maybe you guys might know. My Mother was raised on a farm and my Grandfather called a bug that cows that bit them on the neck "wolf bugs" have you ever heard of such of a bug or worm? My mother says a worm will come out and all the hair will fall out around the area. She also stated that this is common in cats and this bug only lays its eggs around the animals neck. Call me crazy but I feel like I running in circles trying to find out the answer for my poor Spencer boy neutered Shihtzh 14 yrs old . The sore is about 4 inch long draining i have cleaned and compressed and I have bacitracin on it open so it can drain. What do you suggest? And is it a "Wolf Bug"
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone. You're describing a "wolf larva" - the larva of a Cuterebra fly. These flies lay their eggs near rabbit runs and rodent burrows. Hatched larvae crawl into the fur of a mammalian host, enter the host through a natural body opening, and migrate to a subcutaneous site. Infestation appears as a solitary, 1 cm diameter, nonpainful, subcutaneous swelling that fistulates (larval breathing hole). The lesion is usually located on the head, neck, or trunk. I can't imagine that a 4" long draining sore is due to a wolf larva. Can you upload a photo of this sore to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.