Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I was going to have my dog who is 15 down this afternoon.

Customer Question

Hi DR. I was going to have my dog who is 15 down this afternoon. But things now have been put off till Monday. The problem is he ran out of tramadal last night. He was suffering pretty badly an hour and a half ago. So I gave him half of a norco 325 mg..Thinking it wouldnt matter by 4 pm my time. The problem is now he isnt going till monday and Im terrified I have done something that will make him suffer more till monday. And what I can do for pain management over the weekend since he is out of tram. He is about 50-60 lbs at this time...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Please don't be alarmed. 5 mg of hydrocodone and 325 mg of actaminophen are very safe for Brawny. In fact, I might dose hydrocodone at 25-30 mg for him. Unfortunately, if I did so with your Norco 325, I would end up overdosing him with the acetaminophen which is dosed at 350-420 mg for a dog of his size. I would stick with the one tablet of Norco 325 every 6-12 hours as need be.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return.