Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our puppy is 3-4 months old and was in yard where a dog who

Customer Question

our puppy is 3-4 months old and was in yard where a dog who had parvo previously had been kept , the other dog was in yard approve 8 months ago , yesterday our puppy had 1 episode of bloody diarrhea but acts , eats and drinks normally we just got puppy and have not had him vaccinated could this be parvo ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now given that Blue is young, unvaccinated, and in a yard where there has been Parvo previously (and we do know that this virus can live in the soil and environment for months), we need to tread with great care.
Therefore, it would be safest to have him seen at this stage. Your vet can test a stool sample for Parvo to make sure this is not the case for him. (Or if it is, it is much better to treat them at this stage then wait until they are unwell). At the same time the sample can also be tested for other causes of bloody diarrhea in the pup. The most common ones we'd have to consider besides Parvo would be Coccidia, Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis, Giardia, Salmonella and Campylobacter. If any of these are found to be present, then they are treatable and can be addressed for him.
Overall, Blue's situation is high risk for Parvo. Therefore, it would be prudent to get him checked at this point and make sure that isn't present. If he is clear for that terrible virus but his vet finds one of these others, then they can start treatment to clear those as needed and ensure he is not at any risk.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?
nekovet