Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My pit 's left eye went completely grey a few weeks ago and

Customer Question

My pit bull's left eye went completely grey a few weeks ago and kinda had pink eye symptoms with muscus and stuff coming out of it.
I had some amoxicillin left over from a surgery on this eye from earlier this year.
This last February, He had a cancerous tumor removed from the inner corner of his eye. At the time they couldn't make any promises on wether or not it would return.
Now his eye is grey. The first week after taking amoxicillin the eye stopped draining mucus but stayed completely grey. Now in the last few days the white part of his eye has become increasingly red.
The eyeball also appears to be a bit larger than his other eye.
He shows no signs of discomfort or pain, he has a good appetite, but has lost a good amount of weight this year. And I know he doesn't see well from this eye but can't tell if he's completely blind.
I can't think of any trauma that caused this and I don't see a scratch or anything irritating his eye.
I normally would have brought him to the vet immediately but I am serious when I say I can't afford another vet bill. I have spent over $5000 in vet bills just in the last six months and don't have another penny to toss their way.
Please help me know what this is and how to help him without going to another vet appointment.
You may also need to know that he is the most allergic dog I've ever known. He's super sensitive to foods, heat and just about everything. In the past, he has developed very bad skin rashes from these allergies.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last pic is of the tumor we had removed in February. The others are his eye as of tonight
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

That looks like quite the painful eye. The grey is swelling/ edema behind the cornea. This can be due to inflammation, an infection or increased pressure (glaucoma). The enlarged size of the eye really makes me worried about glaucoma. This can also lead to scleral injection- redness of the white part of the eye.

I would really want to check the pressures in that eye. I wish there was something to do at home, but that's just not the case here. Not with an eye that looks that swollen and edematous. If it's glaucoma, then there is little chance there is vision in the eye. In that case, the eye is just painful. The best option is to surgically remove the eye (enucleation). It gets rid of the pain and makes them more comfortable.

I hope this helps, let mek now if you have an other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was my best guess as a non professional. My concern is the amount it will cost to remove his eye.A few years ago I had a cat that punctured his eye and they removed it at the sum of $2400.Please believe me when I say I would if I could but I had a horse seriously colic and ultimately was admitted into the hospital this June. I'm sure u can imagine how high that bill was. ( I'm still paying it off) as well zues' surgery from earlier this year and other vet bills have added up. I can't afford anything more than a standard visit and maybe some shots without seriously causing a financial crisis.I need to know what will happen if I do not take him. At least for the next month. Will his eye fall out? If it ruptures, will it heal on its own? Will he die?Fyi... He does not show any signs of discomfort or pain. He does not shy away, rub it, cry or anything.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

2400 is really expensive for an enucleation. Here at my ER, it's ~ 600-800. At a general vet clinic around town, it's probably 300-500.

It's uncommon for an eye to rupture from glaucoma, but it does continue to grow and become more painful. Often times dogs will show pain by staying away from light, squinting or becoming lethargic. They just act like they're aging more quickly than normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone calling?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I can't call right now. I'm at my job working in the ER. Do you have other questions I can help with?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zues. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We took him to our vet today and they confirmed glaucoma in his eye. His pressure was 85 in the one eye and 18 in his other.After checking around and shopping an eye enucleation my vet dropped their price significantly.Thank God!!! He will be having the surgery tomorrow morning.The total cost will be about $1400, but that also includes a valley fever test and sending his eye out to be tested for cancer.... And they will let me pay it off over 10 months. :)Thank you for the follow up and thank you for helping me understand how much pain he was in, even with the very subtle signs. It was knowing how much pain he was in that made me do something now.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

1400 for the surgery, biopsy and Valley Fever test is not too bad for the west coast. I'm glad they're working with your financial situation. Many practices cannot do this financing, but it's great when they can.

He'll feel so much better once the eye it removed. It's amazing how active they become when that pain is gone.