Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

We have a 6mth Maltese/shihtzu who gets very stressed when

Customer Question

We have a 6mth Maltese/shihtzu who gets very stressed when going in car & always throws up. We were told to put windows down a bit for ear balance which may have helped a bit but she just gets so stressed out. Any ideas would be appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

There is an over the counter product that I find works really well for motion sickness in cars. You can find it in the aisle with Dramamine. It's called Meclizine. You can give 12.5 mg 30-60 minutes before traveling. This should help with the motion sickness. The other ideas of letting her see out and the windows being cracked can also help. I also like to condition them to car rides. Take very short rides around the block and then home. Get her used to going in and out of the car for just a cuople minutes so it's a good experience for her.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?