Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog is a diabetic she gets 4 units twice a day. She went

Customer Question

My dog is a diabetic she gets 4 units twice a day. She went today for her blood sugar test and it was high the vet told me to increase her insulin to 5 units twice a day When I got home I remembered that I had given her some watermelon earlier in the day it was too late to call the vet back and tell him My question is should I give her 4 or 5 units of insulin tonight would 5 units hurt her tonight
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I think this is a great question, I would advise giving the 4 IU and not 5 tonight and contacting your veterinarian tomorrow and repeating the glucose +/- a fructosamine level which checks for the glucose stability in the bloodstream over a week versus the glucose which just checks the glucose level in the moment. In combination with the glucose it can help you definitively know that the dose increase is safe and best for your little one to move forward

But for tonight I would give the 4 IU because you are simply going to worry all night about whether the dose is too high and we know that she can handle the 4 IU safely

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I feel better I was going to give her the 4 units but it's nice to hear it from a doctor
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, best wishes to you both!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Good evening, I wanted to check in on you and your little one to see if you were able to recheck a glucose level on her today? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both!