Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My female Chihuahua is in heat and I separated her from my

Customer Question

My female Chihuahua is in heat and I separated her from my male chihuahua. Today when I got home, the male had gotten into her kennel and now she acts like she is hurt. She crud when I pick her up or rub her stomach. Should I take her to the vet tonight?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Dolly's situation. A trip to the vet's office here tonight wouldn't be a bad thing to do. They can evaluate her and assess her situation to see if she has any physical injuries that need to be addressed. Could she have an actual injury that would benefit from pain medication that they can start up? That is possible. Could she be uncomfortable as she was bred by the male? That is possible too. If that is the case, then they could still give her some pain medication to help make her more comfortable. If she was bred, there isn't a lot to be done at this point as far as preventing a future litter of puppies except spaying her. If you don't have plans for puppies in the future, having her spayed here in the next couple weeks would seem to be a very reasonable decision.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Dolly. How is everything going?