Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I HAVE A 10 YR OLD GOLDEN RETRIEVER WT 68 LBS SHE IS

Customer Question

I HAVE A 10 YR OLD GOLDEN RETRIEVER WT 68 LBS SHE IS CURREENTLY HAVING A BOUT OF COLITIS SHE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE. HER STOOLS ARE COPIOUS AND A LITTLE SLIMEY BUT SHE ONLY GOES 2 TIMES ADAY . I USED TO GIVE HER FLAGYL WHICH WORKED BUT HAS NOT NOW. VET PRESCRIBED SULFASALAZINE WHICH I GAVE FOR 10 DAYS BUT SHE HAS NOT SHOWN IMPROVMENT I WANT TO TRY TYLAN POWDER WHICH USED SOME YEARS AGO AAND IT HELPED. SHE ALSO HAS ARTHRITIS FOR WHICH IGAVE CARPROFEN AND IT HELPED .IHAVE NOT USED IT SINCE THE COLITIS FLARED UP.I ALSO GIVE HER A PROBIOTIC POWDER ON HER FOOD. IS IT SAFE TO USE THESE MEDS TOGETHER THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Golden is having colitis issues. To answer your question yes the tylan, probiotic, and carprofen can be given safely in combination. I agree that it was a good decision to discontinue the carprofen temporarily with the colitis since nonsteroidals can exacerbate gastrointestinal upset. But once you get her on the tylan (+/- white rice as a bulking agent) and things are beginning to firm up it would be fine to combine the medications.

You also might want to discuss gabapentin for pain as she is aging which works by dulling the nerve firing associated with pain, is easier on a senior dog's digestive tract along with liver and kidneys, and allows you to still administer the carprofen as needed on bad days where she seems to need additional pain management.

Please let me know if I can assist with any additional questions today! I hope she is feeling better soon!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!