Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog was t and has a broken neck resulting in paralysis in

Customer Question

My dog was hit and has a broken neck resulting in paralysis in one leg. He has not had a movement in several days. I can not spend any more on him with vet bills on retirement. what can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, if Shorty is ambulatory or not? Which leg is paralyzed? Has he been diagnosed as urinary incontinent, fecal incontinent, or both due to spinal cord damage in his neck? My primary concern is that such a profoundly injured dog can't be managed in a conservative manner and euthanasia might well be the kindest manner in which to proceed. I understand your financial constraints, however. Bringing Shorty to your local SPCA or animal control for euthanasia would be your most cost effective manner in which to have that service performed.