Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

What is recommended dog who has car anxiety and extremely

Customer Question

What is recommended for my dog who has car anxiety and extremely scared of thunderstorms? He pants and body shake. How about medications or sprays?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.
I am so sorry to hear about Ollie's condition....I know first hand how frustrating this can be to see your sweet guy in such distress. I also had a sweet guy that was so afraid that he was in a great deal of distress.
This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get him over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until Ollie realizes that these fears will not hurt him. To do this, first avoid these while making your dog comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, he is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.
Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective.
If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help him past this. Take Ollie to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose him to the things he fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx
Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****