Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My boarder collie who is 13 got a large mass on her leg. My

Customer Question

My boarder collie who is 13 got a large mass on her leg. My local vet thinks it is cancer and whats to remove as much of it as he can and send it in...my concern is that should I go directly to a oncologist vet and let him do the operation. My vet says
no but I am concerned.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
If your vet is not confident that he can fully remove this mass, then it would be ideal to have at least a second opinion with an oncological surgeon. This is because they have advanced training in tackling these kinds of surgery and can advise you if they can remove it all with get clean margins (to prevent regrowth). If they confirm that this isn't likely to be possible, then you can choose to have the specialist or your regular vet remove this. Still, if there is a chance they can; then that would be the ideal option here for your lass.
If you were keen to contact your local veterinary oncologist, I would just note that you can do so via the ACVIM database @ http://www.acvim.org/AnimalOwners/FindaSpecialist.aspx (of course, remember to click oncology as your specialty of choice).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )