Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I am sure my lab has an ear infection, scratching and the

Customer Question

I am sure my lab has an ear infection, scratching and the ear is red and hot, I am a nurse. I gave him 25mg Benadryl and will take him to his vet in the morning. Any other suggestions, he is scratching below the ear and shaking his head. What antibiotics do you use and can I use cortisporin drops
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Can you tell me how much he weighs?
Are you seeing any discharge from the ear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs 70 pounds, no discharge from the ear just red and very warm, he has rubbed the area below his ear very raw. I used some liquid cortisone spray for that area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He went swimming on Saturday in a local lake which he usually does not do and was fine fine until yesterday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
If he has been for a swim, it is possible that this has trapped bacteria that has then been allowed to fester in his warm ear canal.
Now if he weighs 70lbs, then the dose of Benadryl you have given was under the therapeutic threshold. So, if he is still irritated, we can adjust that. Specifically for his size, he can have a Benadryl dose within the 35-140mg range every 8 hours. So, you could consider giving him a second dose just now if he is irritated despite the small dose already given.
Otherwise, further to antihistamines, I would note that you can soothe the ear by gently flushing it with warm saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution, or you can make salt water at home). This will be a mild antiseptic that is soothing with its warmth and safe even if he may have sustained damage to his ear drum (where other treatments may not be safe, and why we need his vet to look before treating with anything in the canal itself).
Otherwise, it is fine to use the cortisone on the area he is scratching as well as the pinna or external portion. But again we just don't want to put anything else into the canal since we cannot assess his ear drum's patency without deep ear scoping.
Finally, in regards ***** ***** question about the treatments we use, this all hinges on the ear drum. If it is patent, then we'd use a broad spectrum eat based treatment with a combination of antibiotic/steroid/anti-fungal like Canaural, Surolan, or Otomax. Otherwise, if that membrane was ruptured, then we'd use oral treatments like Cephalexin to clear infection and a short course of steroids to reduce inflammation and open up the canal.
Overall, I would use the above for tonight and adjust your Benadryl dose for his size. As well, if you find he is really bothering this just now, he may need to wear an e-collar or socks on his back feet for the short term to reduce the risk of self trauma or the risk of his getting more bacteria (from his dirty feet) in his ear.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet