Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I am at my wits end I have 3 rescue dogs one brother and

Customer Question

Hi I am at my wits end I have 3 rescue dogs one brother and sister little jack russel foxie cross now 5 years old the little boy is fine the little girl is half tis size has an overshot top jaw and when it comes to food will only eat small dog biscuits she is obviously hungry but just wont even try to eat anything I offer her I have even tried giving her pureed mince vegies and weetbix I even tried to feed her of a spoon but that was not sucessful. Even with the biscuits I have to be there with her or she just will not eat she will some times eat one or two but crowls and carries on as if to cyce her self up I have to feed her seperately to the others as my older dog has pancreatitis and I am very careful about his diet as I feed the little one puppy biscuits with a higher fat content I was buying biscuits from the vet but I dont now I realy hope you can give me some HELP.Dianne xxxx
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dianne, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, how long Bindi has been so inappetent? If more than a few days, she'll need to see her vet for a thorough physical exam and diagnostic testing - blood and urine tests +/- abdominal X-rays or ultrasound - because there are simply too many possible etiologies for inappetence to list and discuss in this venue. Are there any other worrisome symptoms such as pale mucous membranes in her oral cavity, sneezing, coughing, increased respiratory rate, vomiting, diarrhea, lameness, orfeeling hot (fever)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got them both at about 5 weeks as they were abandoned they are 5 now Bindi has always had difficulty with eating because of her over shot top jaw but her behaviour with food is more the problem you can tell she is hungry but wont try to eat anything i try to give her which is a wide variety of foods and even tried pureed she will eat small biscuits if i stay with her otherwise she just wont eat she is other wise healthy and happy gums are pink everything else appears normal she is quite timid Dianne
Thank you for the additional information, Dianne. Bindi has made it 5 years with that jaw and so I'm concerned that something else is going on with her at this time. Her oral cavity needs to be thoroughly examined. I'm concerned that malocclusion of her teeth has caused painful trauma inside her mouth but if nothing untoward is seen with her teeth, painful temperomandibular joint disease (TMJ) should be considered in light of her abnormal anatomy and her vet might recommend X-raying her jaws instead of testing her blood and urine.
Please continue our conversation if you wish.