Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Black bump on dog leg appeared last week. SHe is 13 years

Customer Question

black bump on dog leg appeared last week. SHe is 13 years old and in good health.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a close up photo of that bump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. (A macro lens is best and most phone cameras don't have such a lens.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have that technology available. However, I am a nurse, it is small raised black bump on the forearm about the size of a pencil eraser. It looks as if there are smaller bumps on the top of it after a close assessment of the mark. It appeared last week while on vacation. She continues to lick it . Her general health remains good. No other symptoms are presenting currently.

When black bumps appear, we need to differentiate melanoma (benign or malignant) from melanocytoma (benign). Melanocytomas are usually solitary, well-circumscribed, dome-shaped, firm, brown to black, alopecic, pedunculated or wartlike growths that range from 0.5 -10 cm in diameter. Malignant melanomas may be pigmented or nonpigmented, may be ulcerated, and tend to be larger and more rapidly growing than the benign melanocytomas. A melanocytoma is more likely to arise on her leg than is a melanoma. In general, a rapidly growing neoplasm that either bothers her or you, ulcerates or fistulates, needs to be needle aspirated. Otherwise, "watchful waiting" is appropriate.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?