Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I gave a bone to my poodle yesterday, she loved it but today

Customer Question

I gave a bone to my poodle yesterday, she loved it but today my husband said she was vomiting and pooping a lot all day. I just look and her booty has blood. What do I do? She is acting normal ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave a bone to my poodle yesterday, she...
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Poodle girl. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. As you can probably appreciate there are a number of things that could potentially be going on here including anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, gastritis (due to the bone yesterday perhaps?), or a toxicity to name a few potential causes. If she is really lethargic now and you can't get her to drink anything, the worry is that she will become quite badly dehydrated quite quickly (as she is losing a lot of liquid via the vomiting and not getting it back by drinking). If this is indeed the case, then I would definitely encourage you to get your girl seen in the next couple of hours if you can.

For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As above, if she is continually vomiting and is refusing to drink then she will quickly become dehydrated. If she is turning her nose up at water and vomiting, then regardless of the above - get her to down to your local vet right away. It is better to be safe than sorry in these situations, particularly with this combination of vomiting and blood around her back end. If she seems to improve a bit in the next half hour and stops vomiting, but won't drink, then you could try making her a fresh chicken broth. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids, and feed her the luke-warm liquid once it has had a chance to cool. If she doesn't go for this, then your local vet may place and IV line and give her fluids that way to keep her hydrated.

I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.