Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Lump on neck

Customer Question

lump on neck
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Grizly has this lump on his neck. May I ask where on his neck? Closer to his head/ under the jawline or closer to the shoulders?

First and foremost, in order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope

This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
under rt jaw , next to esophagus, 3x4 cm. egg shaped, hard, nontender on palpation, been intermittently choking lately, malaised today, visually noticeable since today, had haircut by me 3d ago et not noticed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
feels just like a subaceous cyst
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

This could be a salivary gland that is obstructed or a lymph node. With aspiration your vet will be able to differentiate and determine the best course of action to treat the gland. If it is starting to effect the swallow response it could potentially effect breathing next so he really should be seen and started on antibiotics +/- steroids to ensure his breathing ability is not compromised

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what dose for 7-8 lb.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

What dose of antibiotics or steroids? It really depends on what it is in regards ***** ***** I dispense and dose. I rarely will prescribe steroids unless I suspect lymphoma so I would not advise self medicating in this situation

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If a dog has an abscessed salivary gland and is started on steroids it can cause the abscess to worsen very quickly because you are suppressing the immune response

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm a pa et have some penvk, bicillin, and would like to give dose now and will take to vet in am. none available this hour in this area. i'm going to give him something now, just wanted a ballpark figure
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what antibiotic you are referring to, penicillin is not commonly used in small animals and if this is a large animal formula on a dog his size this is quite dangerous

I can opt out to allow another expert to assist you if you like but I do not feel comfortable dosing penicillin for such a small dog in this format. I definitely wish you luck in getting him comfortable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tnx