Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 5 year old bouvier has an upset stomach. s vet prescribed

Customer Question

my 5 year old bouvier has an upset stomach. his vet prescribed antibiotics as well as a high fibre to flush out what he saw in the ultra sound. his stooles are still soft and one day he eats well and the other day not at all. does drink water and wants to eat grass
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Oliver's issues. Do you know what antibiotics your vet prescribed? What is he eating at this time? Is he having any vomiting? Is he having any weight loss? How long has this upset stomach been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upset stomach 10 days
Apo metronidazole 250mg.half cup of hill weight reduce rd.1/4 of solid gold hind n slocken. 1/4 of blue buffalo wilderness.no weight loss yet. Some vomiting when eating grass
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Has Oliver been vomiting every day? How long ago was his last vomit? Of those 10 days, how many of them had him vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 7 days since his last vomit. Today just the pepto and grass. 20min. Later he ate some food gave him only a small amount . Will give a little more in an hour just watching how he does. Meds have been completed this past weekend
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for my delay. I got pulled away by some cases. So he hasn't physically vomited for 7 days? Or did he vomit up pepto and the grass today? Have the stools gotten back to normal during a period of that 7 days? What did your vet talk about as the next seps to pursue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stool is some wjat better first two will be formed and stay formed 3rd soft like mush
Next is guelph vet hospital for further investigation. No foreign objects in stool. I believe what he saw in ultra sound would be what looked like some kibble.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm again sorry for my delay. I wanted to address one of your earlier concerns about the urine being taken from the bladder through the use of a needle through the abdominal wall (this is called a cystocentesis). This procedure is done many, many, many times and it is a very safe procedure that shouldn't cause any problems when done as it should be. It is a great way to obtain a sterile urine sample when urinary issues are at hand a sample is needed that can be (if needed based on the case) sent in for culturing. Some dogs have urine obtained in this manner as you can't ask a dog to urinate and it is done to quickly get a urine sample.
AS far as Oliver's situation, do you feel that the on and off again appetite is the bigger concern or the intermittent diarrhea? Despite all this, is he acting bright and alert and being interactive?
With the stools, it sounds like you're saying he will have 2 formed stools and then the third following these is soft. Are all three of these in what time frame? Then he will go back to the 2 formed stools and the 3rd soft at another time?