Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Should a veterinarian tube a dog barium study if the dog is

Customer Question

Should a veterinarian tube a dog for a barium study if the dog is vomiting.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. I'm extremely sorry to hear about your loss. It is very hard to lose a pet under circumstances like this. For a dog that isn't debilitated and has a good swallow reflex, they can usually be given barium orally by them eating it or a technician helping to syringe them the barium. I'll be honest and at my ER clinic, the doctors there pretty much 100% of the time give barium orally without tubing them. Placement of a stomach tube has some risks associated with it. If the patient is very debilitated when giving oral barium, that could increase the risk of the dye going down into the trachea. I would be curious to know if the barium was aspirated right upon administration of it or if he regurgitated / vomited it up later and then aspirated. If a film was taken immediately upon giving the dye, this can be determined in most cases. If they vomit up the dye and then aspirate it, this would have happened even if a tube had been used to give the barium. I'm again very sorry for your loss. Please let me know what questions this has created.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?