petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience caring for dogs and cats
21300550

My dog passed away two days ago and we had her cremated. i

Customer Question

my dog passed away two days ago and we had her cremated. i am so distraught and so wonder what happened to her so quickly. she was walking in the park just fine, not hot and not strenuous, leisurely stroll. then we went to a restaurant where they gave her a bowl of water and my husband gave her several bites of ham when we were ready to leave she didnt want to get up and very slowly walked to the car, once home (about 10 minutes at the most) we took her out of car and she walked to her bed breathing very difficult, and i wondered if it could be bloat, but her stomach didnt seem distended or tender. she passed a bit of gas, then lost control of her bladder and about ten minutes later her bowels. She was gasping for air. I called two veterinarians and they both called me back after she had taken last breath. This happened so fast, I am so sad. We have cared for her every need. and this time we were unable to do a thing except hold her. she never made a sound or cried or moaned. i am so sad and feel terribly guilty that we didnt get her assistance soon enough.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
I am very sorry to hear that you lost your girl. Can you tell me how old she was and what breed of dog?
Did she have any previous history of medical problems?
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Boxer 12 years. Recent history of pancreatitis apparently resolved absent of symptoms for 5 weeks. Had X-rays and bloodwork done during this illness revealed no other abnormalities
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

In most cases of sudden death, there are only a few disease conditions that would progress that quickly. One is a cardiac abnormality that would lead to a fatal arrhythmia and cardiac arrest. Boxers are a breed that are over represented for cardiac disease, and it can go unnoted until something like that happens. Another possibility can be a pulmonary thromboembolism (blood clot to the lungs). This can occur secondary to cardiac disease as well as other metabolic diseases that may have gone undiagnosed as well. Finally, a probably more likely due to her age, is a ruptured abdominal mass. This is usually a tumor of the spleen or liver that has been slowly growing (with no symptoms) until it gets large enough that it ruptures open and bleeding into the abdomen occurs. These are very vascular organs and these dogs die fairly quickly.

With the symptoms that you describe, I would think that any of these may have been possible. If so, it is very feasible that she would not have shown any signs to alert you any earlier and even if you were able to get her to a vet quicker, it is unlikely it would have had a different outcome. It is hard to lose a pet without warning, but hopefully you have have some comfort in knowing that she didn't suffer.

Please accept my condolences.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z