Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 3 yr old yorkie started throwing up with really runny

Customer Question

My 3 yr old yorkie started throwing up with really runny diahrea two days ago. But during the day he seems fine. I have no idea what to do. Is there a home remedy? Is this strange that it is only at night?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. Determining how to treat it depends on the underlying cause. It could be anything from something he ate, liver problems, pancreatitis, kidney problems, inflammatory bowel disease, food allergy or intestinal parasites; to name a few. Any home remedy would be used to just treat the signs and not the underlying problem. It is a little odd that it is only at night, but not alarmingly odd. Make sure it is nothing you are giving him in the evening, such as a new treat, new food or human food. It would be recommended to have your vet check him out and run some tests to see if they can find the underlying cause. If you are trying to treat this at home, you can try adding some fiber to his diet (1/4 teaspoon of either Metamucil or pure canned pumpkin over meal), Pepto Bismol is usually safe (1/4 teaspoon per 5 lbs of body weight every 4-6 hours) if there is no blood in the vomit or stool, getting a routine dewormer from the store will help in case it is caused by certain parasites (can't treat all of them without a prescription) and you can try a sensitive stomach diet. I would start there. If you want to try a home remedy first, and it isn't working in a couple days or getting worse at any time, then a trip to the vet is absolutely necessary. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns before rating. Hope this helps.