Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our little Chihuahua not feeling well. She cryed out like

Customer Question

Our little Chihuahua not feeling well . She cryed out like she's in pain . we found a papered sucker stick chewed up in small pieces. We haven't noticed a bowel movement today. She isn't herself.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear your little one is not feeling well. The good news is those sticks are digestible and broken down by the stomach, especially if she was chewing it apart.

What was she doing when she cried out? Is she eating alright? Walking tail tucked/ hunched back? Any hesitation with stairs/ steps or jumping?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I can give you some basic guidelines for your little one but it is difficult to hone in on the cause of her symptoms without additional information

If she is not walking hunched, hesitation with movements then beginning a few things
-Pepcid 1/8 tablet 10 mg (famotidine) every 12 hours
-White rice and boiled lean meat for meals which is bland yet bulking to her stomach x 2-3 days in small more frequent meals
-Increase leash walks to increase digestion, reduce nausea and cramping, so at least 15 minutes two to three times daily for now
-If there is no change in her energy, she is refusing food and water, and has any signs of vomiting or diarrhea then please have her evaluated by your veterinarian

If she is walking hunched or showing stiffness/ soreness:

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Audie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Audie Starkey. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman