Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My doberman keeps peeing at night in her sleep

Customer Question

my doberman keeps peeing at night in her sleep
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Voodoo. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is not unusual to have older, spayed female dogs pass urine when they are asleep or relaxed. It is suspected that it is caused by lowered estrogen levels, which can allow the bladder sphincter to relax, allowing urine to leak out without the dog knowing it.

I usually recommend doing a urinalysis to be sure there is not a bladder infection or other physical problem. If the urinalysis is normal, then there are medications that usually help with this problem. One is PPA, phenylpropanolamine, also called Proin. It is a mild stimulant that helps keep the bladder sphincter tighter.

Another treatment is estrogen supplementation in low doses, often as infrequently as twice or even once a week.

A supplement called "soy isoflavones" helps some dogs; it contains plant estrogens that might be just enough estrogen to help the problem.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca