Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 6 month old Samoyed that scratches all the time. He

Customer Question

I have a 6 month old Samoyed that scratches all the time. He came from Minnesota at the age of 4 months to his home with us in the mountains of Colorado. He has been itching since he arrived. He has no lesions or hot spots, just itching all over all of the time. We are giving him Omega 3 on a regular basis and he is eating Earthborn Holistic for puppy with some salmon as a supplement. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Dry. Loretta and would like to help.
There are many dogs that have allergies to anything causing this scratching. Try following these instructions to see if this will help:
Give Tofi Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 7 days.
Bath him weekly in either Malaseb or Dermaplex that can be purchased at the pet store. This will soothe his skin and decrease the scratching.
Many dogs will grow out of this but in the summer months, you may want to consider shaving Tofi so he is less likely to get hot spots due to the heat and moisture.
If he does not respond to this treatment, have your vet run skin scrapings and cultures to be sure he does not have any parasites that could cause this constant scratching.
Does that make sense to you? This treatment is very effective if the problem is minor.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely, ***** *****
Hi Maria,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tofi. How is everything going?
Dr. Loretta