Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My puppy is 11 weeks old and she is always scratching her

Customer Question

My puppy is 11 weeks old and she is always scratching her ears and she whines when she does it. Her brother from the same litter is also doing the Sam thing. I have looked in her ears but i don't see anything and I have cleaned them out and it last for
a week. She loves digging and playing in water. Could the dirt or water be getting in there making her itchy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, any irritant that doesn't belong in her ears could cause her to scratch. So, if she tends to get dirt or water caught in the canals, this could be our cause. Still to hear that they are both scratching their ears specifically, then I'd be concerned about a possible ear mite infection (they are microscopic so you'd not seem them with your naked eye) or allergies.
Therefore, in regards ***** ***** here, it'd be ideal to treat for ear mites to rule these out. If she hasn't lots of discharge, you can topically treat by using a spot on treatment that covers against these mites. Advantage Multi, Revolution, and Stronghold are the ones we use most often. So, one of these would be ideal. Of course, if she had discharge, you could alternatively have her vet dispense an ear based treatment for this.
Otherwise, to address and rule out allergies, we can consider a trial on an antihistamine for her. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first.
Overall, this scratching could be related to her activities and mischief. But if she has a litter mate with the same signs, these above issues are more likely and worth addressing for them both.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u so much. There is no discharge or draining from the ear and it smells a little like a dirty ear not like an infection is in there. I have seen an ear infection in a big dog before and its not like that. I'm going to try the Benadryl first and I that dont work ill get the ear mite treatment. Thank u.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am glad that you aren't seeing anything particular sinister and that sounds like a perfect plan of action for wee Layla. :)
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is about 5 lbs. How much Benadryl would I give her? Is it around 2mg?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If she is 5lbs, then she could have 2.5mg every 8-12 hours. Since she is very small, I would just suggest using the children's liquid version (which is 2.5mg per ml) as it will be much easier to dose for her size.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)