Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Every now and then my dog has the problem to breed. it

Customer Question

every now and then my dog has the problem to breed. it sounds like he is choking, or something stuck in his throat. it goes on for a minute, and after that everything back to normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Does Russel show these signs when he is excited or first waking up?
Does he have a collar or harness? Does he do this on walks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems like it can happen any time.. sometimes when I take him to a walk, ,it didn't happen early morning,, so far. yesterday it just happened while he was sitting in the house. sometime I think , because of a collar or harness, but yesterday none of those were on him..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it lasts only for a minute,, and everything back to normal.. but that MINUTE seems very difficult for the dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Since it is intermittent and he is an otherwise healthy wee lad, we'd not assume anything was stuck or that he had an ongoing infection or growth in the airway. Instead, I am suspicious that Russel may have a collapsing trachea. This is common to small breed dogs due to their having tracheal cartilage rings that are softer then ideal. And when they contract their neck muscles or compress their throat with something like a collar; we can see the trachea pulled taut, airflow decreased, and these episodes arise. When this happens, it tends to continue until they relax those muscles and the trachea can pop back open. Then they are often fine because the airway is back to normal size.
In regards ***** ***** this for him, I do think you need to discuss this further with his vet or consider finding one more sympathetic to poor Russel's situation. Ideally, you'd want to video what he is doing so they can truly appreciate the situation and diagnose it for you.
In regards ***** ***** it tends to be management as opposed to cure for most cases. Often we find them better on harness then a collar. Furthermore, if we are seeing this frequently, then they can benefit from treatment with anti-inflammatories. And if he fainted with this or was having them daily, then he may be a candidate for surgical fixing (stenting) where a rigid implant is placed to keep the trachea from collapsing. (Of course, if he is very young, then we'd want to see if this reduces as he ages and grows into himself).
Overall, based on your history, this would be my main suspicion for him. So, if his vet isn't helping, do consider videoing what you see so they can appreciate what is going on. From there a trial on anti-inflammatories to reduce any inflammation that would make him more prone to this would be the next step to see if we can reduce these episodes for wee Russel.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Laszlo,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Russel. How is everything going?
nekovet