Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is not walking as he does not want to put any

Customer Question

My dog is not walking as he does not want to put any pressure on his rear leg.
He leg doesn't appear swollen and there is nothing in between his pads or webbing in paw.
Should I take him to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has Bailey had these signs?
Can he put his foot on the floor at all (even for a moment) or does his leg almost look too short to reach?
Does he have feeling in his toes when you were checking?
Any boney instability or crunching when you felt the leg?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just this morning, he won't put his leg down although it doesn't appear short.There wasn't no crunching when I felt the leg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now if Bailey won't put the leg down at all, we need to tread with care. The reason I asked about this and the leg length is because hip dislocation can appear in this manner. This is because the head of the femur tends to move up once out of the hip joint. If that seems less likely (which is important to rule out since it is an urgent issue), we'd be more concerned about possible damage to the cruciate tendon in his knee, severe muscle strain, or possibly a hairline fracture (that would be painful but not palpable).
In this case, since he is so severely lame that he won't put the foot down and since we have these concerns, it'd be ideal to have him seen. His vet could check that the cruciate ligament has not been torn, rule out any risk of dislocation, or subtle fractures. If they do see him, they can also dispense dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Previcox, Rimadyl) to reduce inflammation and get him back to using that leg quicker.
Otherwise in the meantime, you can use some home supportive care. This will be of benefit even after he has been seen. In regards ***** ***** so, the first step will be to restrict activity. So, no stairs, jumping on furniture, and just short lead walks to do his business on the lead a few times daily. As well, if he is amenable, you can consider massaging or warm compressing the sore leg. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use).
As well, you can consider some supplements to naturally reduce inflammation and support his joints. For example, you can consider supplementing him with fish oil (omega 3 or 6; EPA/DHA) and/or glucosamine/chondroitin. In regards ***** ***** former, these can be helpful as they do have anti-inflammatory properties. In regards ***** ***** we tend to give this at a rate of 20mg per pound of their body weight. And while more a long term option, it could just help soothe his inflammation and get him more comfortable quicker. Furthermore, you can use glucosamine/chondroitin here. These are a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). They work to aid joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Overall, based on your history, these would be our concerns with how Bailey is holding that leg. Since he is so sore that he won't lower it, I do think a check at this stage is for the best. That way we can identify which issue is present and ensure we address it properly both with our home care but also from the discomfort angle.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )