Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ew, we have a 2 year old husky who went to bed with heavy

Customer Question

Hey drew, we have a 2 year old husky who went to bed with heavy breathing and she woke up with direhhea. And little bit of foam at mouth
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Can you take a breathing rate for me (just count her breaths for 10 seconds + multiply by 6)?
Are her gums pink or pale/white?
What does the diarrhea look like?
Did the breathing changes settle after she had the diarrhea?
Is she eating and drinking normally? Any vomiting or gagging?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was fine for a few days. And this am her stool was fine. Tonight this happened. She is acting normal and eating.Her dog food is nature variety instinct ultimate protein. Switched from blue about 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Can you just tell me if the breathing situation has settled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
breating is back to normal. Her activity seems normal.Did you see the photos of stool? That is only odd thing at this point.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again,
I am glad to hear that the breathing is back to normal, since that was the most worrisome of her signs. Otherwise, the stools just look to be related to either an inflammatory or bacterial colitis. Often when the lower bowel is inflamed, we will see mucus of this nature along with loose stools.
If she is otherwise feeling well, I would note that there is some supportive care that you can consider trying at this stage. To start, consider putting her onto a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), cottage cheese, or meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients). As well, you can alternatively use a veterinary prescription diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The aim of these light diets is that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated. And the more they absorb, the less to pass as diarrhea (which less loose stool means less irritation to the colon).
Otherwise, since this is quite runny, I would also note that we could use a anti-diarrheal to see if we can soothe this for her. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
* Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)
* PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, and Fast Balance (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and the last few have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI (which is good if there has been an upset of the natural population). So, you can consider trying these as a short term means of trying to soothe her upset GI.
Overall, I am relieved to hear that the breathing signs have settled for her. And in that case, we'd want to use the above to see if we can settle those GI signs for her. Of course, if she doesn't settle, then it'd be worth considering having a stool sample checked to pinpoint any infectious agent lurking so that targeted treatment can be used if needed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so update, after feeding her the rice and chicken for two days her stool ha's started to change. It's starting to get a little hard at this point. Some of it almost looks like raw white rice. But is looking better. Is this good sign?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Color of stool was yellowish. And much much less present mucas
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
Firming up and reduced mucus is positive. But I would make sure to use one of those anti-diarrheals we discussed if its still loose and you are seeing undigested rice present; since that tells us that the material is still moving through the gut a bit quickly.
Keep up the good work,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today she had loose stool and it was foamy. Are we getting worse or better?