Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have 3 five days old Rottweiler puppies and I want to know

Customer Question

I have 3 five days old Rottweiler puppies and I want to know when will they be able to walk and open their eyes
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you all today!

Congratulations on your new litter!

The puppy's eyes start opening and although the vision is hardly perfect, his eyes nevertheless start to open and his hearing begins to detect sounds at about day 10 (between 7-14 days). Full visual and hearing ability will be attained towards the end of the 5th week.

At about the current age the nervous system, undergoing development, enables the puppy's forelegs to support his own body weight, making moving towards the teats much easier. They recognize the odor of his mother and develops a preference for certain teats. They are still unable to hear, even though there is no hearing is able to detect sound vibrations. They are just crawling at this age and are not actually able to ambulate or walk on their own for another 3-4 weeks, just waddle and wiggle towards mom and certain sensations

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you all today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you all!!!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the feedback. I have another question, can we give the puppies a bath
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

At this age I would not advise it, at least until 2+ weeks old and a dry shampoo only at that point. If they walk through urine or feces wiping them off should be all they should experience at this tender age

Please let me know any additional questions I can assist you with!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to put the puppies under the heating lamp
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You should have a heating lamp available in part of the box they are in but far enough away it cannot burn (especially as warm as it is this time of year) and allowing an area of the box to be without the lamp so they can get out of the warmer temperature if they prefer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you, ***** ***** mother, how long will she be bleeding
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
th puppies, how often do the feed
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

The bleeding should taper over the first week and she may spot up to a 1-2 week period. If there is still heavy bleeding then this needs to be addressed with your veterinarian

Puppies at this age should be feeding every few hours

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are in a country that does not have vet, and we need your help in caring for these puppies.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

If there are any additional questions please don't hesitate to ask. I am on-line for another 20 minutes if there is anything I can clarify tonight

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About how old would they be to get their first shots
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

At least 6 weeks

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Deworm at 4, 6, 8 weeks with a broad spectrum dewormer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok , thank you, ***** ***** that should be it for now
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, good luck in getting them through this tender age!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am signing off for the evening.