Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

How much charcoal should I give my dog who weighs approx 35

Customer Question

How much charcoal should I give my dog who weighs approx 35 lbs. it's an unknown poison
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- What are the symptoms that your dog is showing?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't walk,very dehydrated and urinating on herself. Unsure of exact duration as I was at work all day
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Is she alert and responsive?

2- Is she drinking?

3- What happens if you stand her up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Somewhat alert,she drinks but vomits it back up and she is unable to really walk. She tries but doesn't have control
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, in response to your question the dose for activated charcoal would be 1-2 g/kg every 4-8 hours. As you can see, this is a very large amount of charcoal to give at home. You see, in the clinic what we do is pass a tube to her stomach to give the charcoal and prevent the charcoal from going into her lungs. The fact that she is vomiting and has loss of motor function I am concern that she may inhale the charcoal into her lungs creating a bigger problem. So, my advise is to Not give the charcoal unless a veterinarian has passed a stomach tube. I would instead remove the food and water and start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours to control the vomiting. Finally, strongly recommend having her checked by ER veterinarian. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Ruby. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter