Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Is it normal terrier presenting with reverse sneezing and

Customer Question

Is it normal for a ***** ***** terrier presenting with reverse sneezing and hacking to have a diagnosis of enlarged heart and lungs, they are fluorescing bright white on a mobile x-Ray. What is the diagnosis of this, it was never explained
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The episodes seem to be more prevelent at night and come out of no where. In the last few weeks they also are becoming more frequent. The impression my boyfriend got was the heart and lungs should appear dark on an X-ray, if this is true is that indicative of congestive heart failure and pleurisy in the lungs? I'm just having doubts due to the nature of the testing and the way it was handled from the beginning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I added a pic of xray
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry you have waited so long for a response and that Milo is having these difficulties

Yes I would absolutely get a second opinion at this point. The heart is mildly enlarged but we need the second x-ray of him on his side to give a three dimensional idea of what is going on with the heart (versus two dimensional of the one x-ray). In addition the area on the lower part of the screen is what looks like a consolidated lung lobe and this should be addressed. Causes can include tumor, torsion, pneumonia, etc and better x-rays are warranted to get that information in order to help him further.

To explain x-rays, black is air and white is bone. We want lungs to be black and the rounded area on the bottom of the x-ray is a lung lobe the same density of the heart which is a concern and needs to be further evaluated asap

I hope this information confirms your suspicions but I definitely would encourage your boyfriend to have a second opinion this week to get some more answers to what is going on with Milo

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Milo. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman