Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

What type of care do you believe helps with red mange?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry for your concerns about Carolena. Was she diagnosed by your veterinarian with demodex mange? This is what we commonly call red mange.

How long have you been treating her, & what have you used so far?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been treating Carolena for several days....at first using an antibiotic approved by your Vets on Just Answer...was also used hydrogen peroxide + H2O for debriding the sites. Also, 12.5 mg of Benedryl, BID PO QD. Saw a vet yesterday, but he never came into the room. He finally took a scraping and dx'd red mange. I purchased Pyoben Shampoo 16 oz, Mitaban 10.6 ml, and Chephalexin 25 mg BID PO QD. She began the new oral medications yesterday afternoon. I used the shampoo on her today. However, after reading about Mitaban, I am hesitant to use this on her, especially her face. I would just like to know if there is something safer to help this wonderful puppy, dumped on our dead end road. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. Yes, there is actually a wonderful treatment for red mange ( Demodex ) that is supported in a recently published paper (www.parasitesandvectors.com/content/8/1/187 ).

Bravecto ( Fluralaner ), is labelled to kill fleas & ticks for 12 weeks in dogs 6 months & older. It comes as a flavored chew that you give once, & of course repeat in 3 months, & as long as necessary to prevent the mites from returning . It will also take care of any fleas & ticks Carolena might have. I personally have used this treatment, & several of my colleagues have also had very good results. One even treated a 4 month old pug, which is extra label.

You will need to purchase this through your vet.

You can also use daily ivermectin, which is a standard treatment for demodex, too. But you usually need to administer this for 3-4 months.

I would continue the Cephalexin & Pyoben shampoo. These are very good adjuncts to treatment, especially if there is a significant secondary bacterial infection present.

Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much....you have really helped. I was a Texas nurse for 38 years, but I don't know anything about health care for dogs. Carolena is very smart, and every day I see improvement in her ADLs. It's too hot where we live, so I take her outside to play for about 10 min in complete shade. I believe you are the #1 vet who has helped me. Thank you, again.
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

You are so welcome. All the best to you & Carolena.

Take care.