Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog ate black sand from a golds gym weight and vomited

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How much did Karmie eat?
How long ago?
Do you think she brought up most of it in her vomit? Or do you think she has much more lurking in her stomach?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she vomited again 2nd time and it was clearer I don't know how much she had it in her mouth I got it out
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is laying down and sad she did it I think but still running around some
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
an hour or so it's been going on
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Based on what you have noted, it sounds like she has gotten some in her mouth and eaten it; but not eaten a great volume intentionally. This is quite an important distinction since sand isn't toxic but can cause 2 main issues. The first is that it is abrasive to the stomach and therefore can irritate the stomach lining causing vomiting. Otherwise, if they eat a lot of sand, then there is a risk of this becoming a blockage.
Since a blockage sounds less likely here, we'd want to try to settle her stomach at this point. If you felt that her belly was tense or sore when you pressed on it or if her gums were pale at any point; then we'd want a check with her vet urgently.
Otherwise, you can try to soothe her upset stomach using an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
As well, I would note that Milk of Magnesia (magnesium hydroxide; at a dose of 0.5 tsp every 8 hours) would also be a good option. It has the same effects as above but as a liquid would better coat her stomach against the irritation. These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
As long as she can keep that down and settles (since she'd need injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet if she cannot), we'd then want to offer a soft or light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. This will be better tolerated by her stomach but also won't further irritate her throat.
Overall, sand can be an issue when ingested. If she just had a bit when carrying the weight, then we'd want to try the above for her. Of course, if she had more, has any belly pain or pale gums; then a blockage would be a worry and we'd want her seen urgently. And if she is too nauseous for the above, then injectable treatment from her vet would be best to soothe her GI upset and help her settle after eating what is a very irritating material to the stomach.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are at vet. They are calling poison control. There is a chemical they are trying to find out what it is. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was in the sand.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If the sand had been treated with something or is suspected to contain hematite, magnatite or iron; then that is best to check even though most are inert. Otherwise, further to poison control, do consider ringing the company that made this product since they will know what it contains.
Dr. B.