Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My cat may have drank a puddle with sevin in it. Also, she

Customer Question

My cat may have drank a puddle with sevin in it. Also, she was lying in sevin dust. She seems lathargic and was spitting up. What do I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long ago did Buttercup drink this?
Can she drink and keep water down?
What is she bringing up in her vomit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sunday
I tried to get her to drink this morning and she walked away
Bile
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your patience ( as you can see I had quite a bit to type),
Now the dilemma here is that while Sevin dust is used on occasion topically, ingestion can cause adverse effects even in small doses. Most often we see lethargy alongside GI upset with drooling, nausea and vomiting. As well, we can also see them develop belly cramps, diarrhea, and some may even show tremors, seizures, sedation, depression of their breathing, and even collapse.
With all this in mind and considering how long this has already been in Buttercup's system, we do need to tread with care. We'd hope not to see her develop those more severe signs, but we need to be proactive here to get her stomach settled her eating before she develops secondary hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver syndrome) or starts to dehydration or waste away.
In regards ***** ***** this, if she is very nauseous but isn't actively vomiting just now, you can consider trying her with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Once that is onboard, you can then try to tempt her to eat using a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Since she has been bringing up bile, do note that we cannot syringe feed food or fluids, else we are just likely to make her vomit even more.
Finally, since she wasn't keen on water and has been vomiting this long already, you do need to check her hydration now to make sure she is not already dehydrated. To check this and make sure she is not becoming dehydrated there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a wee video on this HERE. (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html) They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then you do want to have her seen urgently.
Overall, this is an organophosphate type pesticide and her signs support a moderate intoxication. Therefore, we can try the above here, but if she doesn't respond and settle within the next 12 hours (sooner if she cannot even keep the antacid down or is dehydrated when you check), then we'd need to consider having her seen by the local vet for injectable anti-vomiting medication to settle her stomach +/- IV fluids to flush this poison out of her system.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buttercup. How is everything going?
nekovet