Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 4 year-old male Pug mix, named Jax, that we rescued

Customer Question

I have a 4 year-old male Pug mix, named Jax, that we rescued at approximately 6 months of age. He has always had an intermittent/occasional honking-type cough, that appears to be brought on by excessive or sudden exertion; alhough sometimes there is no apparent catalyst. It is usually brief, lasting 30 seconds to a minute or two, and shortened by me petting and talking to help calm him. He also has a slight wheeze at times, and sometimes he snores.
This morning the coughing started without any exertion, but has continted all day and become progressively worse. In addition to the honking cough, he is gagging/choking, and seems to be trying to cough something up. He has been drinking a lot of water and eating grass (which he often does), Tonight it is even worse, he is becoming very hoarse, and I've been up with him all night. The coughing and gagging sound more 'wet' and he has vomited a number of times. He licks it up immediately, but it doesn't appear to be food or have any color.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- Has he been around unfamiliar dogs like in a kennel, dog park, etc. in the last week or so?

2- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?