Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My. Dog received s rabies vaccination about 7 pm tonight.

Customer Question

My. Dog received his rabies vaccination about 7 pm tonight. When we came home I gave him two new medications simplicef 100mg one and a half tablets and apoquel 5.4 mg two tablets about 9 pm. He also took his soloxine 0.5 mg which he has been on for about 3 years. About 1-2 hours after he took the pills he started panting and breathing fast and has not stopped. Could it be the new medications? He a 9 year old beagle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

The panting may be a vaccine reaction or a reaction to one of the meds. Of the meds, Simplicef would be more likely to cause a reaction. If you want to try to give something to blunt that response, you can use Benadryl at home. The dose of Benadryl in dogs is 1-2 mg per lb body weight. It can be given every 6-8 hours, as needed.

I would hold off on giving the meds tomorrow, and talk with your vet to see if s/he would like to change either one or hold off on either one. If the Simplicef is not absolutely needed, then I'd probably stop that one. Apoquel is more of a chronic med, and I would give that another chance as it can be great for allergies in dogs.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.