Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My one year old male golden retriever was fine. I was laying

Customer Question

Hi! So my one year old male golden retriever was fine. I was laying with him and started itching his belly and hit a "spot" where he was moving his leg. But, then I noticed red bumps all over where I was scratching. It was his groin/stomach area. I got super worried so scheduled an appointment with the vet. The vet prescribed him "relifor topical spray" and shaved his stomach (he has never got shaved before). I used the spray three times to notice that it was only making matters worse and possibly burning him, as when I sprayed it he backed away from me and flinched. I stopped using the spray and have just been giving him benadryl twice a day which has seemed to at least help the itching a little. But, I just noticed the same dry/red spots below his butthole and above his tail. Help!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also-- he wasn't itching until we went to the vet so I am thinking that the shaving had something to do with that because now it seems like he is itchy a lot. It is rather red and raw on his stomach but I have tried to keep a shirt on him so he can't scratch or lick. I am just mad because the bumps were just bumps until he was shaved and now it's pretty bad. That spray is toxic for dogs too and I hated giving it to him because he's a licker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will attach photos.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before the vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
current photos. after the vet, spray, and shave.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the before the vet wasn't actually before the vet, it was minutes after getting home. so his stomach is shaved but the spots clearly aren't nearly as bad. Sorry, I'm a first time pet owner! Very worried!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question. Try not to be too worried.

It looks like this is some type of contact allergy. Allergies can cause redness, itching and hives on the abdomen. The clipping probably just irritated the skin more and now there is clipper burn on top of a contact allergy. It doesn't sound like the spray is helping, so I would agree with stopping that. It's just an antibiotic with a steroid. The steroid should have helped, but sometimes the alcohol carrier in those sprays just makes matters worse.

I would not use anything topically. I would just clean the area with a mild antibacterial soap and some cool water. I would then leave it alone. The only thing I would give, is Benadryl for the itching and irritation. You can give Benadryl every 6-8 hours, as needed. The dose range is anywhere from 1-2 mg per lb body weight.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With allergies how long does it take to go away? And should I get a cone for the licking or continue with the shirt?It has been like this since last Wednesday so roughly 6 days. He is 68 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

I would just continue with the shirt.

A contact allergen should resolve over 5-7 days. It can be recurrent, though, depending on the allergies and the dog. I would still give this more time. If it ends up being a recurrent issue, then I would do allergy testing with a veterinary dermatologist to know what he's allergic to and to see if anything needs to be done about it.

In regards ***** ***** you can give 3 capsules (75 mg) at a time. You can give it every 6-8 hours.