Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 7 year old 10 pound shih tzu had five teeth extracted

Customer Question

My 7 year old 10 pound shih tzu had five teeth extracted today. One was a "complicated" extraction. They did not send her home with pain meds and she is moaning now. She had anesthesia earlier for the cleaning. I have left over tramadol
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Tramadol is a drug which is being used more often in dogs these days, it is regarded as a potent pain killer with a high margin of safety and few side effects in dogs.

2. For post-operative pain relief as in your case a dose rate of 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given each 12 hours is often used.

3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to provide a link so they can check the accuracy of my advice and read further on the subject. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Tramadol.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.