Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a dog Bemese/Aussie mix approximately 120 pounds. He

Customer Question

Hello. I have a dog Bemese/Aussie mix approximately 120 pounds. He has a history of seizes and takes numerous meds for it. Tonight I fed the dog with his evening meds and left to go on a call as I am the coroner where I live. My husband came home and fed the dog again giving a second dose of evening meds.
Amount Given:
Potassium Bromide 500mg
Kepra 2000mg
Zonisamide 700mg
Phenobarbital 162mg
Evening doses:
Potassium Bromide 250mg
Kepra 1000mg
Zonisamide 350mg
Phenobarbitol 81mg
Is this something I need to get emergency care for
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm sorry this has happened to you and thank you for doing the job you do! I have good news for you. Giving a double dose of the medication should not be any problem at all. Likely all that will happen is severe sedation and drunken walking. This could last 8-12 hours. If anything else should happen besides drunken walking and sleepiness then he is having an uncommon reaction and should see the vet. (These symptoms could include, vomiting, hives, swollen face, muscle tremors, and so sleepy he's unresponsive. In most cases however in 8-12 hours he'll be back to normal. If he's still loopy and "out of it" tomorrow then call your vet and tell him/her what happened before giving any morning doses. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.

Dr. Dan