Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our friend has "Ace", a 3 year old small Beagle with Cherry

Customer Question

Our friend has "Ace", a 3 year old small Beagle with Cherry Eyes. Instead of the gland removal which could leave a him with a lifetime of 'dry eyes', we heard that there is a new veterinary procedure to STAPLE the glands into Aces' eye sockets.
If this is true what is the medical terminology called and what would the cost be.
Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. I am not sure about using a staple but there are a couple of procedures described to suture the cherry eye protrusion back into it's normal position with very fine suture material, these are generally called tie back procedures. While it is possible to just cut the cherry eye out this is not recommended as a small number of cases go on to develop a condition called dry eye. Also some vets just leave a cherry eye as it is, while it is a bit unsightly in most cases it will not cause any harm to the dog's eye.

I personally go for the tie back procedure if I can ...

2. In the hands of an experienced vet the tie back procedure is a very quick and simple operation which will take ten minutes or so, however vets can charge whatever they want so prices could vary from around a couple of hundred dollars to very much more. The best plan is to talk this point over with the vet concerned first.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers the topic : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott.
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.