Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I adopted my dog 'Zina' about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She had been

Customer Question

I adopted my dog 'Zina' about 2 1/2 weeks ago. She had been spayed about 2-3 days prior to picking her up for our journey home. I recently noticed on one end of her spaying suture, a pinkish pimple or something similar, which also has a tiny white spot at about center point. I have done some online reading. It appears that many female dogs have this and that helping my girl may be something I can do here at home. Since I deal with disability, it can be difficult for me to find help, should I need to get her to the vet, asap. Thank you very much for your help. Carol-
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today

First congratulations on your new addition!

Second, if Zina is not bothering the area and not licking, no redness except for the pimple I would monitor for a short while. If you adopted her from a rescue often they will give complimentary examinations at a local veterinary clinic or at the rescue

Often when we place subcuticular sutures or sutures under the skin they can cause some irritation and this is why you see the irregularity in the skin there. This can resolve on its own after a 2-4 week period or if they lick and irritate it possibly needs to be evaluated by a veterinarian and removed from the subcuticular layer.

I would try washing the area with oatmeal-based dog shampoo twice daily with ten minute contact time, minimize licking, benadryl at 1 mg/ pound every 8-12 hours if the area is itchy, and warm compresses several times daily for ten minute intervals.

If there is no change, there is discharge, increased redness, she is licking (you can try a t-shirt to minimize the licking) then it is time to have a veterinarian evaluate the area.

Please let me know if this information makes sense, often these will resolve on their own but in occasional cases we need to get in and remove that suture which can be a nidus for irritation to her

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I am unable to complete a telephone call through the site but am happy to opt out to allow another expert to assist you if you prefer?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am on-line an additional 15 minutes this evening if I can be of any further assistance to you both...
If you would prefer I opt out to allow you to work with another expert please let me know...I hope you have many happy years together!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good day to you, Dr. Altman! I was hoping to speak to you last evening with an additional question that would have been better answered by speaking to you. I made the phone call request, soon after reading your first and very helpful response. Greatly appreciated and in such detail for me. Due to time factor as I'm on the Eastern Time Zone, in addition to waiting for your call, I did not see your next two responses until this morning. By the way, I looked at time for each mail, and they don't appear to be in a 'time order' (my initial question showing 8:45pm when actually 3 hours earlier, your first response time 7:28pm, second response time 8:59pm and third response time is 10:52pm). Since I could not see your additional responses until approx. 10:15am, EST this morning, I called the Just Answer call center about the phone call reply, and they suggested setting this up with you through this dialog box. They've not yet charged me for the call, so please let me what works best for you. Thanks again, and have a good day. Carol-
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for any delayed responses to your questions yesterday.
What additional questions can I assist with or clarify? I am not set up through the site for telephone calls but am happy to assist you in this format further
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for getting back to me. With regard to time issues, if we are not in the same time zone, that may be the reason for time of emails being different. Not sure if you had a chance to look at them. As for speaking by phone, I believe that the call center person was referring to us personally setting something up by phone, not through them. I wanted to give you an updated and better description of the little pink 'bubble', not bump, on one end of Zina's suture. I touched it later last night and it feels incredibly soft. When I push down quiet easily on it, it feels like a 'bubble', not a bump. Could it have popped, or was there every anything in it? Zina is paying no attention to it, which is good.
Also, due to her coming from a shelter, though being there for only two weeks, I would like to have her bathed, etc. asap, and I am sure she would like it, too, as she is nipping/scratching at various spots. With what I have shared, can you provide additional thoughts and the earlier possible time to have her bathed. Also, would you be able to give thought on how to chose a good Vet? I now live in Traverse City, MI. There are several Vet Offices in this area, yet I don't know where to start. Thanks again for your help and assistance, Dr. Altman. Carol-
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay, typically I am at my clinic during the day and home in the evenings to respond to questions but have a break so will do my best to assist you now!
When we have a bump or bubble or anything irregular at the beginning or end of a spay incision it is commonly a reaction to the suture buried under that area. In some cases if it is a bubble it will rupture and you will see the underlying knot there.
You definitely should be able to bathe her if it has been two weeks since adoption and spay. Using an oatmeal-based dog shampoo and focusing on her most itchy areas, leaving the shampoo on contact x 10 minutes before rinsing to relieve her itch and then rinsing well.
How to find a good vet is a great question! I will guide you with a few questions:
- Asking friends and neighbors
- Calling vet clinics in your area and ask to speak to the vet or interview and tour the clinic before scheduling an appointment. I would say at least 50% will not bother to call you back, a tell tale sign that this is not someone willing to give you the attention nor time you need to feel comfortable with them. Then the other 45% you may decide you don't fit with their way of practicing. Come to meet the vet with a list of questions- how do you practice? When a pet presents with an illness do you take things step by step or want to do all the testing at once (most costly as you can imagine)? What is your vaccination protocol (some vets do still over vaccinate, now rabies and distemper primarily only 3 year vaccinations after the first two years of boosters)? How many vets are at the practice (so that you may see a different one every time)? I have met with a handful of new clients or talked to some on the telephone before scheduling an appointment and that is perfectly fine!
- Lastly if you hone it down to a few different clinics go to yelp.com and googlebusiness and look at reviews of the clinic
I hope that information makes sense but please let me know anything else I can do for you both!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr. Altman.
Thank you for your additional information regarding Zina's suture. Your input, suggestions and more, for finding a good Vet for Zina, is very helpful and also educational. It's my hope that those who work for and represent the Vet and his/her practice, will have the patience needed to speak to me. As part of getting settled here in Traverse City, when the need arises to make local calls for my own needs, I've been experiencing a lot of 'hurry-up, lets make this short, I'm not all that interested' attitude. I tend to be a person who is friendly and interested in people, so much of this has caught me off guard. It's my hope to find patience with interest in wanting to help me, when I do make these calls and visits for Zina's new Vet.
Thanks again for everything you have shared with regard to Zina's care, Dr. Altman. So greatly appreciated. Take care and have a good day. Carol-
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Enjoy your new addition! You can also ask friends and neighbors who they trust for their pet care as well and combine all the information into a decision. I am so sorry you are getting the "brush off" when trying to care for your new addition!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zina. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman