Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a mix lab/Austrian shepherd that's about 9. He has

Customer Question

I have a mix lab/Austrian shepherd that's about 9. He has gone from drinking a lot of water and eating normal, to drinking less and eating less. Today, he hasn't touched his food and barely drinking, the only thing he will ear is chopped up hotdogs. Any help you can give me I thank you. Randy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and happy to answer your questions today.
I am so sorry to hear that your Blue is not feeling well and no one has yet to assist you both today
My primary concern when I hear a dog is going from drinking a lot of water and eating normally to no water and food is diabetes. When diabetes reaches a severe state of ketoacidosis this is the common presentation. Below is a link to this condition in dogs and should be taken seriously and have him seen by a veterinarian asap to check glucose levels and rule this out:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/hormones-body-chemistry/diabetic-ketoacidosis-dka-in-dogs
The second concern would be kidney changes which often can have increased water intake for a time then tapering of food and water interest, +/- vomiting and weight loss
Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/kidneys-bladder-urinary-system/chronic-renal-kidney-failure-in-dogs
Regardless a veterinary exam, urinalysis to evaluate the urine, and bloodwork is warranted to hone in on the cause of Blue's signs and to determine the best way to treat his symptoms
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Blue. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman