Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a black lab about 9 years old. At our cottage he

Customer Question

I have a black lab about 9 years old. At our cottage he start to vomit imeditly after eating. There was a new dog in the cottage that a friend brought over for a couple of days. Thats when it started.The dog left and he eat without vomiting yesterday. This morning we fed him and when we got home [1hr drive he vomited again. Just wonder if you could give me some idea of what going on. I will take him to the doctore if I feed him tonight and vomits. He eats certain kinds of grass all the time him and my pug my old lab ate grass when he was sick. My last Lab had his stomoch twist and I dont want this to happen to him
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like he may have gotten into something that is upsetting his stomach. I don't think it sounds like an obstruction, if he ate yesterday and kept that down. If you want to try giving him something to settle his stomach, you can pick up some Famotidine (Pepcid AC) and give him 20 mg every 12-24 hours. I would also try to feed a bland diet tonight- chicken/ rice or hamburger/ rice. That will be easier on the stomach.

If the vomiting continues tonight, then I would have him seen and get some anti-nausea and fluid injections in him to help with his hydration. I would also probably start some antibiotics in case of some GI bug.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I do remember catching him munching on a dead fish carcass bones briefly before I stop him early in the week
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

That could definitely do it.

You're welcome.