Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Sophie, my 3 yr old 16 pd maltipoo started licking her tail

Customer Question

Sophie, my 3 yr old 16 pd maltipoo started licking her tail and occasionally her paws approximately 1 year ago (no problems before then). I tried the vet food diet - didn't make any difference. For the last 4 months or so I have been rotating proteins to see if there was a difference. Chicken and beef seemed to cause her to lick more often, however, she has also licked with lamb and turkey. Interesting note that I only see her licking in the middle of the night. I am home during the day and very rarely do I see her doing this.
I took her to a homeopatic on Aug. 23rd and she said to give her one protein and one carb to try and narrow down the culprit and suggested turkey and potatoes. Two days later Sophie started having very loose stools and occasional diarrhea.
I contacted the vet 6 days ago and she responded and said to keep her on the potatoes and remove the turkey. Sophie has had turkey in the past with no problems and the amount of white potatoes she had her eating was huge and I felt it best to remove the potatoes. She still has loose stools so I've put her (temporarily) back on lamb and have ordered a novel protein (kangaroo) via the mail and want to slowly introduce her to that once I get her stools under control.
Question - what natural supplements can I give her to get her digestive system back in order and what carb should I add to the lamb? I have been avoiding grains in case they were the problem.
Thanks very much,
Camille
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. I would get her on a probiotic for the GI tract. Fortiflora is a very good one. You can find it online. Some people may add a small amount of plain yogurt instead, but I have seen that cause upset stomach in some dogs. You can still try the potato diet if she seemed to do well with it. Sweet potatoes are another good carb source. Red lentil beans are also good. Those are the more common carb sources used with Kangaroo. I hope this answers your questions. If not, please let me know before rating.