Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a chocolate lab she is 17 or so she is a rescue dog

Customer Question

I have a chocolate lab she is 17 or so she is a rescue dog she was looked at by a vet for a large sore with a lot of swelling then drainage a little later he said soon as he seen it that it was a tumer. There was no testing done I took her home and started a holistic treatment and appeared to be getting better really fast then it came back seems worse this time I took her off the treatment except the vitamins. And started her on pawpaw.tea seems like it was getting a little better for about a week she's been taking amoxicillin 250 mg every 6 hrs.for about two weeks now no sign of improvement is there an infection that could look like cancer and sence there was no test done could it just be a bad infection and maybe not be cancer she eats and drinks good and going to potty normal still likes to go on walks but gets tired pretty easy I'm disabled and funds are not there for tests and stuff I'm really worried that I may lose my best friend please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

I am worried that this is actually an abscessed tumor. Sometimes we'll see cancerous lumps that outgrow their own blood supply and they become infected in the middle. They can act like an abscess and partially respond to antibiotics. The ideal treatment here, is to surgically remove the lump and abscess. It can then be biopsied to see if there are cancerous cells in there. If so, they can then tell you what type of cancer and if it has the chance of recurrence.

If you are unable to have it removed, then I would continue the antibiotics as long as there is some discharge and swelling. The holistic treatments may not help, but they shouldn't hurt. If they seem to help, you can continue those as well. If possible, though, I would save up and get the surgery done to see what you're dealing with.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.